8/14/2009

So That's Interesting

In 2005 IA went to the Dallas Comedy Festival. We were green...we still did short form and were not practicing long form much. In fact, at that time, I am pretty sure we didn't even really know much about it at all.

There was group there called The Reckoning from IO in Chicago. They did a Harold both Friday and Saturday night and it was brilliant. One person stood out for me in that show and his name is Michael Patrick O'Brien. He doesn't know me and I don't know him, but he inspired me to become a better improviser that night.

Some people say that I play a female character very well. Well, the secret is out. I stole it from him. He played a female character in a way that I have never seen. He played it straight, without all the stereotypes a male usually plays when they are a female in a scene, again...brilliant. I always think back on his rendition whenever I play a female...always.

He was smart, witty, quick, but there was something else. He played smart and aggressive, he made people look good, he made himself look good. I knew, even then, that this guy had some serious improv talent.

I remember looking up the group when I got home and watching when their performances were. Whenever we were in Chicago I would check them out. Yes, I slowly became a stalker.

Last year I found out that he was going to be joining the Mainstage at Second City. I had to go. My wife played along and we went. I remember pointing him out to her telling her that he was hilarious. He didn't disappoint. Even then, I think I knew that he would end up somewhere like SNL and I think that is why I followed his shows.

Wednesday, I heard that he was hired as a writer for SNL...for some reason, I felt proud. As if, I knew all along that this guy was going to make it successfully as an improviser. I don't know if that was his goal, but it is still one hell of a job, and I am truly proud that I have looked up to him as an improviser.

John Robison told me that he took a level 3 class from this guy at IO and that he was one of his favorites. I didn't doubt that for a minute. I am glad I got a chance to see him before his name was known to America. Even though he will be famous now, I will still look up to him as an inspiration.

1 comment:

Inky Neverwhere said...

Cool news. I'll watch for him on SNL.

"He played it straight, without all the stereotypes a male usually plays when they are a female in a scene" ... this is something I've noticed, too. You and a couple other guys out there are really good at it. It's difficult to overcome (a) stereotypes, and (b) the filters of your own experiences, the commentary you can't help but layer into the character. One of the better cross-gender players I've seen has barely dated in his life... I don't think it's a coincidence. (Not wanting to critique from a glass house: I've yet to play a convincing man. Working on it.)