8/12/2009

IA Rehearsal

There still seems to be a lack of energy at some of our rehearsals. I don't know what it is but I hope that it is resolved soon. I left rehearsal feeling as if the group was split or separated by people there to have fun and people who seemed like they were forced to be there.

I often find myself feeling like I have been in every scene during a longform show, last night in rehearsal was very similar. There were a few people sitting down during scenes and I kept jumping in seeing opportunities to add to the scene. Even when there was an edit and a new scene needed to be started, I felt like I was involved too much.

But if they are sitting down not really putting forth the effort that I am, do I deserve to be the one to add, or to be the one to start? It really is starting to frustrate me. If you don't think the scene is fun, or if you don't think the form is fun, then why don't you try to help make it fun, instead of sitting there not participating and sucking out the energy.

I hate whining, but this has really started to bother me...sorry. I definitely don't want to call anyone out either so sorry if this is offensive. I just care about the shows I put on and when others don't show the same affection for it, I just get bothered. I also will be the first one to help make it better in any way.

Whiny Keith says goodbye for now...

4 comments:

Jared Brustad said...

I used to be this way, back when I started doing improv. I would bail on scenes that were going nowhere, and even worse, I would bail on shows. But I young and stupid and have gotten over that, and now, if someone was doing what you say they are doing, it would frustrate me to no end and I would probably say something to their face.

Rehearsals however are still hard for me to give it my all. Scenes are so hard to judge what's going right and what's going wrong when there is no audience there to react to. Even though its not the same feeling as being in front of a live crowd, you should still be attentive and support your fellow troupe members.

Scott said...

Whiny Scott here.

I was guilty of sitting down once, at the start of the second long form... and I have to say, it was because a couple moves being made at the top of the second set were disappointing me. I always try to bring fun & energy to the rehearsal, but my inertia was brought to a screeching halt at that moment.

improvclown said...

Scott. First off, I have to say that I have never really seen you lose energy...ever. You are so energetic about improv in all aspects that I am sure Jamie hates it when you talk about it. That being said. Disappointments are a part of improv...it's what we chose to do with them. If you were disappointed with a choice, why not try to think of Del Close's note. "Focus on making your partner look better." Jump in there and add some energy, or jump in there and focus on their choice and try to help them make it better. Just an idea. In the end though, it was definitely not you that was frustrating me.

TBinKC said...

Long-winded comments in two parts:

ONE: I love Mick Napier's "The Perfect Actor" (click here http://www.annoyanceproductions.com/jan4.html and scroll down to about the middle). The whole thing is worth a read, but here's the part appropriate to your post: "Don't be tired. It's actually o.k. to be tired, most of us are when we work so hard on a show. It's even o.k. to say you're tired. Just don't act tired. Be someone who isn't tired. I've seen too many people say they're tired at the beginning of a rehearsal and then spend the next three hours proving it to everyone around them. Oftentimes, tired is an excuse for lazy/scared. If you find yourself saying "I'm really tired today"......know that everyone is tired and that's a given and who cares and then get up on stage and be vital and engaging. Don't let tired be an excuse, nobody cares."

I have zero patience for people who don't commit in a rehearsal. It's disrespectful to your director/coach, fellow players, the craft and ultimately the audience. It's the one place where there are no consequences for fucking up, so why wouldn't you make bold choices and take big risks?

Sigh.

TWO: It's even more irritating when you find yourself in a situation where you feel like you have to take care of a disproportionate number of scenes. You want to do what's right for the piece—but if no one else is ever put on the spot, how will they ever learn?

Rehearsal may be the one place where you have permission to let a scene die so other players can see what it feels like.