2/26/2008

High School recap

Sunday Tim, John, Nathan, and I taught some basic improv to 30-35 high school kids. (and a few of the supervising adults)

At first it was much like corralling cattle, but once we got them with us it was fun till the end. Let's set something straight though. They were not high school kids that wanted to learn improv. They were high school kids whose supervisors thought they would enjoy improv, as a way to break the ice for new kids in the group. During the whole hour and a half, a few of the kids just sat and watched, and didn't want to participate. Then you had the few who participated, but not whole-heartedly, then you had the kids that participated 150%. I miss having constant energy, of course, the mountain dew and skittles probably helped them a little.

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. John, Tim, Nathan, and I did a very good job of planning what we wanted to do, and we had a great set of back-up things we wanted to do, depending on their experience and what not. If anything, we introduced some of them to improv, and we showed others how to get better at it. We also introduced ourselves as a group, and told some of them about the festival later this year.

For my first improv teaching experience, I am very glad I had Nathan there as my sidekick, and I am very satisfied with the effort of my small group. I have to admit, they even impressed me a bit when we played some scene games. Yay improv!

No comments: