1/17/2008

Time for some Chicago style improv

I have never seen a Chicago improv show. Whether it is at Second City, Annoyance, or IO. I have not seen one in Chicago. Sure, I saw Second City when they came to town, but it was a "best of" show, with some improv at the end. Not a revue. We had the festival last year, and I took some workshops from some Chicago veterans, but it just isn't the same. I want to immerse myself in the Chicago scene at some point and take some classes in Chicago, maybe a summer intensive will do the trick. I have been telling myself for awhile now that there is nothing in Kansas City to help me learn more of what I crave. Don't get me wrong, playing here in KC teaches me a lot everyday, but I feel as if I need some personal attention from a professional, to tell me what the next step might be to up my improv game. Maybe a trip to Chicago this summer will help...I'll look into it and while I do, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter as well.

Tuesday IA had a great private show for Commerce Bank at the Mission Hills Country Club. It was Tim, Nathan, John, and myself. Great show, great energy, they loved it, and we had a blast. Then came rehearsal. Again, I feel like I have hit a wall at rehearsal, I find myself concentrating on making the group look better as a whole, but what about myself as a performer? At thunderdome I challenged myself to do different characters than I have ever done, I think I will work on that some more.

Wednesday night it started to snow, and I am sure it wasn't a lot, but I just didn't want to deal with it, so I stayed home from Roving Imp rehearsal. I am ready for some warmer weather, I hate winter.

I am excited and sad about Saturday. Pete's last night at Comedy City is Saturday. Luckily, I get to perform with him in the 7:30pm show, I hope and pray that he is a player and not a ref or in the booth. Then at 10:00, the sure to sell out Monkeys show will be the "best of," and of course, Pete's last Monkeys. He has had an amazing 14 year run with Comedy City, I am sure it is bittersweet. (by the way, I love the above picture. I promise that is Pete. I am pretty sure he would be a great host for a certain big event coming in September.)

5 comments:

The Union said...

In Chicago, your best bet for specific, personal notes on your game is The Annoyance. I think they do a Summer intensive, but I'm not positive. Google it.

TBinKC said...

There's no substitute for intensive feedback from experienced directors. If you're looking for an intense experience, I highly recommend this one:
http://www.artisticnewdirections.org/retreats.html

I've done intensives with Annoyance, Dan Izzo and Second City's boot camp, but nothing could match the Performance Improv Retreat. I'm seriously considering going back this year...

Unknown said...

Just realized I might have implied the Annoyance and Second City's intensives weren't awesome. Which couldn't be further from the truth...I loved them both. But AND's is a full week of morning 'til night classes and performances, which is made of awesome.

The Union said...

Yeah, but then you gotta be in the wilderness at a camp. Eff that. When you do a week long intensive at one of the Chicago theaters you work all day, and then you have the whole city's worth of shows to see at night. Great stuff, horrible stuff, improv, sketch, standup...you can learn from all of it.

I mean, in my opinion, that is.

Ryan said...

i recommend annoyance's summer intensive if you want to do one in chicago