9/15/2009

Times, they are a changing

After November. I am going to be taking some time off from improv. I may do a Dictionary Soup show, and help Dennis out if he needs it, but other than that I will not be doing a lot of improv. I will most likely take a 1-2 month break from IA because we rehearse on Tuesday nights at 7 and usually have monthly shows on Friday nights around 7 also. My work schedule usually keeps me till 6:45-7:00 at night, and I hate feeling hurried, or making others wait on me.

Looking back on this blog, at one point I was doing Comedy City, CounterClockwiseComedy, IA, Roving Imp, and Thunderdome...I have no idea how I did it. I remember thinking to myself that I was getting a lot of stage time to really work on things, but some stage time was not so helpful, and some of the groups were more of a frustration than anything.

I have always told myself that I do this for fun, and if it isn't fun anymore, then I wouldn't do it. Comedy City was more frustrating than fun, and so was CCC. So I had to quit those groups. Everything else has been a blast, but I am sure that I am going to have to make some tough decisions again once January hits.

This time, it won't have anything to do with frustration and fun. It actually has to do with improv not getting in the way of other priorities. I am not looking forward to some of the decisions I will have to make, but I have to remember that they are for the best.

I will still be doing improv in some capacity, but as to what that will be...only time will tell.

3 comments:

Scott said...

The baby's a-comin!

KCObamacan said...

The KC Improv scene will be a bit less vibrant for your absence. Here's hoping for a beautiful, healthy, sleepy baby who will allow you the time and energy to return to us soon. :D Gonna miss watching you play Keith!

Tom

Tina Morrison said...

Keith,

I had to make some similar choices a few years ago. FFC used to do 3-4 shows a month, then we went to at least one show a month. Now, I've scaled back even more. I miss out on some things, sure, but I believe life is all about balance. I want to perform, write and spend time with my family. I don't want one area to become my whole life and other areas to be neglected. It's tough to make choices, but worth it in the end. Good luck to you. - Tina Morrison