9/22/2008

One year of improv blogging

This morning I went back and read some of my first posts. Wow, what a difference a year makes. I was performing and rehearsing quite a bit a year ago. I am still performing and rehearsing quite a bit, but I have definitely learned how to space the shows and rehearsals out so that I still have time to mow the lawn and stay married.

The whole reason I started this blog was to keep an improv diary if you will. It was fun to read about some shows I had forgotten about, and the people I have performed with.

My weeks are much easier now, but there is definitely some things changing on the horizon:

1. Improv-Abilities is going to have another yearly meeting to go over goals for the next year and how we can keep improving as a team. We did the Chicago Improv Festival last year...what the heck could we do now?

2. Jerry Rapp has joined Tommy and I to make our videos sooooo much better. We are both very excited about working with a professional man in the film industry.

3. John Robison and I are finally able to do our 2 man show "Dictionary Soup" every second Saturday at Roving Imp. We have done a total of 2 of these shows, we are really looking forward to getting these shows more polished, and time will definitely help.

4. Joe Henley and I are really starting to get pretty serious about opening an improv dedicated theater here in Kansas City. The next step is to meet with a small business advisor and see if we could even make it work. (I will definitely keep you updated on this venture)

5. This coming Sunday, Nick Rigoli invited me to join a discussion about a sketch team. I definitely want to show up and see what could happen. I have always wanted to try sketch. I got to do some with Counter Clockwise Comedy last year, but it never felt like it was great or a that much of a team effort.

6. and finally...I don't want to improvise at Comedy City anymore...it just isn't fun. I love a lot of the people there, but it seems that everyone is leaving, or is planning on leaving. It was fun while it lasted, and I am glad that I got to be a part of that history.

Things are changing here in Kansas City, there are many more improv groups than there were at this time last year. It is still slowly growing thanks to City 3 and the Improv Festival. Thank God it is slowly growing, we couldn't handle it if it just blew up in our faces. I am excited to see what the next year brings for improv in Kansas City.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dennis & I will miss you and your wonderful energy at CC. That being said, we totally understand your decision.

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Congratulations on both counts!