9/24/2008

IA Rehearsal/Jill Bernard/Fear

Last night was a great rehearsal night for IA. Everyone was really focused and we were all in a very playful mood. We are starting to figure out how to do our organic transitions in order to make our scenes better. We are definitely trying to get better all the time. I would hate it if we were just complacent at this point, thinking we are as good as we are going to get. If you are an improviser and you think there is nothing more you can learn...you are sadly mistaken. There is always something you can get better at...always.

I recently read something that Jill Bernard wrote about:

Improv was still fun, but it didn't give me butterflies. I was getting cocky and complacent and I knew it. This makes me sound like an ass, but no one was challenging me. I had to do something. At that time I realized something that has become a central artistic philosophy for me. If you have some stupid idea, an idea that keeps you up at night because it seems impossible and it's scary and it's not like anything else; that is the thing you must do.”

The organic edits are definitely something that is scary for IA, sometimes we are hesitant, but last night, we didn't give a crap how we looked, we were just having fun. Some of the best scenes came out of our group organic edits. I know we can have this much fun on stage at our next shows too.

1 comment: