9/15/2008

Kansas City Improv Festival Part 2

Local weekend:

Friday night I got to play with Loaded Dice. Some half naked lady danced around me, I pulled off my pants, ripped off a pair of dice taped to my boxers, and threw them to someone in the crowd. Weird? Yes, but at least I can tell my kids about it someday.

From that point on the night was a blast. Playing with Loaded Dice was very fun, it is a format inspired by Dan Izzo's road trip format, and it is as much fun as it looks.

Saturday night I found myself with IA. I had more of an investment with this group since I have been with them from the beginning. Again, very fun playing with these people. I had fun on stage and that is what I wanted to do this weekend. Just go out there and have fun.

The after parties were even more fun, because we got to all bask in the glory of this great event over great drinks and great atmosphere.

Someone asked me if this was a hobby. It was hard to answer that. It is a hobby, but it is also something that I love to do, and consider myself to be good at. But is that what a hobby is, something you love to do, and something you are good at? Or, is it just a hobby, because I can't make a living doing it?

2 comments:

Scott said...

There are two ways to answer the question. One, yes. It's a hobby because its something you are doing without expecting to make a significant portion of your living from it. The other way to look at it is in what manner are you approaching the practice, a professional manner or a hobbyist manner. I'd say you take it seriously enough to say you do it professionally...

TBinKC said...

You are a professional improviser. But you do it as a hobby, not for a living. There.