6/02/2008

My first teaching experience

I taught a class yesterday with John Robison. First, I have to say that it was the most talented group of people I have taught, but that also made it very difficult. My job was to watch the scenes and pick out the patterns that the improvisers were getting into. But, halfway through the workshop, the improvisers were breaking their own patterns, and challenging themselves to do something different. I still found a few things to nitpick about, but it made it very difficult to give feedback. However, after the class, Trish and Nathan both said that they would have loved more side coaching. (Not for anything but character patterns and maintaining the character) John and I talked about it after everyone left and we both said that we were holding back, because of two things. One: respect for the people in the class, and Two: We thought this was strictly a workshop where we give everyone tools to use, when creating characters.

Either way, the class was very satisfying, and we both know what we could do to improve it.

1 comment:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

I'm sorry I missed it. I had Corporate Challenge the night before and family in town, so I hope you know it was nothing personal against you & John. Glad it went well.