2/19/2008

Blog recap

Back when I first started this here blog. I was struggling to figure out how to do as much improv as I could. That was a mistake. I have learned since then that just because you are playing a lot doesnt mean you are getting better. I had to make some tough choices between some great groups and some great people. However, I am here today in order to stand by my decisions. Quitting CounterClockwiseComedy was probably the easiest decision. I found myself not having fun while I was rehearsing and playing with this group. That to me, was a bad sign, and I am definitely happy I quit while I did. The decision between Improv-Abilities, Roving Imp, and Comedy City was much more difficult. I helped start IA, so I couldn't quit that, and more importantly, I have seen a great deal of improvement with IA in the past 2 years. Comedy City may have its negatives, but I am still meeting great people (and introducing them to City 3!) and learning a lot about comedy while on that stage. I never wanted to quit Roving Imp, but the timing just isn't right. I had to quit Roving Imp, or I wouldn't be married anymore.

So the point of this is to reassure myself that I have made some good decisions when it has come to improv groups that I have had to quit. I think I have made the best decisions. Between IA and Comedy City, starting this Wednesday, I will be doing at least 2 improv shows a week. On top of all that, Tommy and I are continuing our video adventures as another outlet, and there is another season of Improv Thunderdome planned in May. People say don't spread yourself to thin, and I have learned that is true first hand. It is better that I chose the two groups I did, in order to better myself as an improvisor. Heck, let's do this again in a few months and see how I feel then okay.

1 comment:

TBinKC said...

I think it goes in waves. There are times I get in deep because I crave it (uh...now, for example), and others that I pull way back (I took a year off from directing except Exit 16 last year, and it was good).

Right now, I gotta play, and I want to do it enough to get back in a groove. Hence Tantrum, Poke, Spite and whatever the hell we're going to call ourselves. (I am open to a name with more than one word in it.)