12/21/2007

They are dropping like flies

IA is going through some very sad changes. The group was really coming together and making a lot of healthy strides when it comes to group mind. However, we have now lost Tommy to the workforce, Mandy has to sit out for 4 months or so and then rethink if she can continue, James will be starting a play and be out for 6 weeks, and Bess had her appendix out, so she is out for awhile as well...Wow. We went from a healthy 14 to a smaller 10 . It is not the end of the world. But it is sad when you lose a member...let alone, 4 members at the same time. It is quite a blow to the team. That being said, we still had a good rehearsal on Tuesday. We have 2 more private gigs to get through and then we start our 2008 season in February at The Lucky Brew grille. Very excited.

I am still deciding if I want to continue at Comedy City. The shows are okay, the money is okay. The players are great. I have had a lot of fun playing with new people. But I am considering joining Roving Imp. I have been a huge spokesperson for John and his group. Especially since I have seen their first performance, followed by many after that. They have grown exponentially in improv experience, and I think it is due to his great directing ability. I think I could learn a lot more from him, however they have a low attendance, and that has gotten to me in the past. Is it better to perform for a minimal crowd, yet get more out of it, or perform for a bigger crowd and not get much out of it at all? I leave it to you to answer this question.

5 comments:

Jared Brustad said...

You should get something out of every performance, whether its is for a small crowd or a large one. But it's hard to justify.

ComedyCity has large crowds and shows are fun, but how often do the performances feel like a sleep-walk? That was one of my problems there. I loved everyone, but i could do those shows in my sleep and often had.

Do whatever challenges you.

Christopher said...

Didn't Jason Sudeikis say their Las Vegas shows actually improved when they had to cut the size of their troupe?

improvclown said...

Good point Jared. Good Point Chris.

TBinKC said...

It depends a lot on your goals. Good players left Lighten Up because they wanted to make careers as actors--and that meant getting paid (at the time, ComedyCity did, and we didn't). Other's stayed with us because they liked the work we were doing. What do you want to get out of it? The question will answer itself.

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

You're getting paid??? If it makes you feel any better, CC will be losing some people soon.