8/24/2009

Roving Imp

Saturday I took advantage of my wife being out of town. I went down to the Roving Imp theater and watched 2 improv shows. Now, I haven't sat down and watched an improv show as a spectator in a while. Sure, I have watched other groups perform, and Thunderdome, but most of the time I am watching those shows like an improviser. Critiquing choices, critiquing format, etc...

But Saturday, I watched like I was in high school again. I got jealous of the laughter the people onstage were getting and I wanted to be that person on stage. I got jealous of the format that Omega Directive did in both halves, because I wanted to be up there performing in what looked like a ton of fun. But most importantly, I was an audience member who enjoyed my experience at the Roving Imp, because it was comfortable and entertaining.

I could have stayed at home and had a fire on a gorgeous night, I could have gotten some things done around the house, but I needed to go see a show and remind myself why we even do this. It is way to much fun, and it is especially more fun when you surround yourself with people who enjoy it as much as you.

I think we should all take advantage of the good shows that are being put on today. We didn't have the choices or the level of shows 10 years ago that we have today. Why not take some time to go see some improv instead of just performing. I think watching shows goes a long way in developing yourself as an improviser, just as much as rehearsal and performing does.

No comments: