4/27/2008

What makes a good improv troupe?

Before I start, I have a bias. I have been with IA since the beginning, for awhile, it was all I knew. Now that I have seen their growth since day 1, I am proud like a parent to see where we are today. That being said, this is what I think makes a good improv troupe.

Trust, confidence, positive attitude, the golden rule, motivation, and communication.

Trust: I will use IA as an example. I completely trust every single one of my fellow players. If I am having a bad night, I trust that they will make me look good. If I am lost in a scene, I trust that they will guide me. If I had something in my teeth, I trust my players to use it in a scene. If you can't trust someone in your group, then how can you trust them in a scene?

Confidence: I want to see the best out of everyone in my group. I never want to see someone go out and think that they suck. This goes along with trust, but if you don't have confidence in yourself, or your teammates, then how can perform with them?

Positive Attitude: Nothing makes me more upset when someone is negative about a show, rehearsal, warm-up, or any situation involving the group. Now if they communicate to the group in an adult fashion as to why they don't like something, that is different. But if they just constantly complain about it without taking action, then that is just a negative outlook. If someone thinks a show is going to suck, then how can the show be good?

The golden rule: This one is the most important to me. In life and in an improv troupe. Treat everyone how you want to be treated. If everyone gets along, you can see it in their performance.

Motivation: If everyone is motivated to perform at their best for the good of the troupe, then that is a great troupe. If everyone is motivated to chip in and help the troupe succeed outside of shows, then that is a great troupe. Again, IA example. I can go through the roster of IA and tell you exactly how much outside work everyone does for IA to promote the group....every single person does something to help IA put on shows...every single one. It's not just one person doing all of the work and getting burnt out.

Communication: A great troupe is like a great relationship. You are able to tell your partner or partners anything at all without it hurting their feelings. You are able to just shut up and listen to your partner when they are giving you feedback or talking about their feelings. IA example: Every once in awhile we get together at a rehearsal and we talk as a team about where we are going and how we should get there. We talk about shows, rehearsals, and how we feel. It may sound silly, but we all know how each person feels, and what would help them stick around. It is a great feeling to know that if someone was upset, they could actually tell someone about it and something would get done.

Now, my answer is not IA makes the perfect improv troupe. We are far from perfect. But, if I couldn't mention them in at least one of the items above, then I wouldn't be in the group now would I? Because they wouldn't be a good improv troupe...right?

1 comment:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Well done Keith. This post is far superior to last months.