4/14/2008

Thunderdome Championship

What a great show. I am so proud to even be a part of this awesome improv community. 150 people were in attendance to watch an improv show that did not have a nationally known star. Is that a first for KC? It's a first for me. What I love about Thunderdome is that the competition aspect gets the crowds in. The other thing I love about it, is that once they are in, we are putting on some great improv for them. The energy feeds us and we in turn give them something to remember. Little by little, people are going to get interested in this "improv" that we do, and they are going to see more shows, maybe even take classes and join the community. In the past month new people have joined Improv-Abilities, Makeshift Militia, and Roving Imp. Scott taught a class that had a woman who may audition for Hype 7. I have a feeling that the fundraiser classes for the festival and the festival itself, will help the community get just a little bit bigger, whether by new members or by new improv groups.

Loaded Dice won the first championship, but each team involved (even the losers) won respect from me. It was just great to see people playing with others, trying different things, and overall, having fun. That is what this is all about, go out there, have fun, and someone will dig it. I know I had a blast, and from the look of the audience members faces after every show, they had fun too.

Season 2 kicks off in June and I can't wait. Teams have formed, and from the look of things, teams are bigger, better, and the competition is going to be fierce...super fierce according to Christian.

No comments: