4/30/2008

It happens in 3's

1. On Monday we were to rehearse with The Trip Fives at the Westport Coffeehouse. The theater was booked by some other group. (Not upset at you Jared, just the situation) So, we had to go to Nathan's new house to rehearse.

2. Tuesday, IA found out that Famous Johnny's has cancelled the rest of our shows at their venue. Why? Who knows, the guy is not great at communicating from what I hear, his loss anyway.

3. There are two improv theaters in town. One is in downtown and the owner is a jerk. One is in Bonner Springs and the owner is almost perfect. (I love that there is an improv theater, run by a great guy, I just wish it was closer, so that we could build something in the middle of KC)

Why am I putting these down? Because lately, I have been thinking that Kansas City needs an improv comedy venue, led by a great person, in a central location. Somewhere where everyone can rehearse on any given night, somewhere where we are not competing with other non-improv groups for stage time. Somewhere where we can finally set up a High School Improv League. Somewhere where joint shows can be performed on Friday nights and Saturday nights. Somewhere where people can perfect there shows, write a sketch show, put on a revue, and just experiment with longform.

Right now, every group besides Roving Imp and Comedy City has to rent a space to put on a show. If another group wants to rehearse, you have to find a free place (a church), or rehearse in some one's basement.

If we had our own venue, we would never have to worry about where we could put on a workshop, an Improv Fight Club, or a show for that matter.

Now, I am not saying that someone should go and buy a space tomorrow. This is just something that could be helpful with the expansion of improv in Kansas City. Maybe in another year or two, we will realize that we don't need a space. We'll see.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm with you, Keith. Having a central space would make starting troupes and rehearsing so much easier for all of us. Wish I had a large sum of money.

John said...

This touches on a topic I've been thinking about for awhile. I have a lot to say about it, so I blogged. Go to www.creativestageworks.com for my long-windedness, if you don't mind!