10/15/2007

What a great weekend

Yes, I am still very tired, but I don't care. This past weekend was very informative. I was available to pick up the lovely gentlemen from Revolver at the airport. I then was invited to eat at the mouth-watering Gates BBQ with them. I got to be a huge improv nerd and listen to the stories they told of Mick Napier and many other big names in the improv community. It was great, but it definitely left me with a desire to move to Chicago. After the airport, I dropped off the guys and headed straight to the Westport Coffeehouse. On The Spot was first, where Jorin from Chicago's Revolver, showed us all how to play short form improv with high energy consistently. Low attendance as usual but overall a very good show. Then at 10pm the Roving Imps took the stage and did their thing. I have had the pleasure of watching this group grow. They have only been around since spring, and the growth has to be credited to John Robison. He has taught some people who have never done improv how to do it properly in less then 7 months. I must say that he will rival Trish Berrong in the years to come as Kansas City's top improv director. Poke followed, (Trish Berrong and Tommy Todd) and they also did a fantastic job, not that anyone had any doubt that they would. What I loved about their show was that they each held their own. Not one person ruled the stage or the funny, it was definitely a 2-person show. Revolver then closed us out with a mini version of the Harold. They showed us how to follow the funny and how to truly create improv on stage. It was fantastic. The audience did not want them to stop and either did I. After the show we all headed to McCoy's, and continued to learn from the Chicagoan's.

On Saturday I took a workshop with the 4 gentlemen from Revolver and it was super-informative. They showed us how to play a long form piece called "La Ronde." Kansas City improv is good, don't get me wrong, but we are too nice on stage. We don't want to step on any one's toes or take away their stage time, but Revolver showed us how to follow the funny, and that their is nothing wrong with editing quickly so that everyone has a chance to play. They also showed us how to have "runs" with an interesting character. The audience doesn't want to hear people talking about how funny it was when that retarded guy drove the car, they want to see it. I for one loved this style. It was long form, but it was fast paced, and hilarious. With a group of 8 or more, this style would be fantastic to learn and watch. Within a year the group of 8 would have group mind like you wouldn't believe.

Saturday night was Improv-Abilities and Revolver in Lawrence. The audience was small but the show was great. For not having done long form for very long, I thought that IA did a great job. We have so much talent on our team and it is great to see it utilized in long form as well. Revolver closed out the night with the same style as Friday night, and of course, it was top-notch. I wish nothing but the best for the 4 guys we met this weekend. I hope that within another year they are IO's resident funny group in Chicago, taking over The Reckoning's spot as the team to see. I will be here cheering them on as loud as I can. I can't wait to get to Chicago to see the whole ensemble, I am sure as a team, they are out of this world.

3 comments:

sugarbumkin said...

That's the second time I've heard someone say we "did our thing." Is that good or bad? *confoozled* When we talked it over after the show we pretty much decided that we held our own, although there was a reason we opened and everyone knew it.

Also, I desperately wanted to go to that workshop, but being without a babysitter and...oh yeah, a CAR, that was impossible. Any wisdom to pass on, Sahib?

improvclown said...

I meant it in a good way. As for your car, be patient. Or, you could just bum a ride from your fellow imps!

sugarbumkin said...

Ha ha, yeah, I'm bumming a ride to Hype 7 practice tonight. :-) If nothing else it's nice to feel like a high schooler again...you know, without the insecurities and whatnot.